Without directly invading the brain or nerves, the virus responsible for COVID-19 causes potentially damaging neurological injuries in about one in seven infected, a new study shows. These injuries range from temporary confusion due to low body-oxygen levels, to stroke and seizures in the most serious cases, say the study authors.
Led by researchers at NYU Grossman School of Medicine, the study showed no cases of brain or nerve inflammation (meningitis or encephalitis), indicating no immediate invasion of these organs by the pandemic virus, SARS-CoV-2.
While this should reassure patients, the neurological complications of COVID-19 should be taken seriously because they dramatically raise a patient’s risk of dying while still in hospital (by 38 percent), researchers say. Such adverse effects also raise a coronavirus patient’s likelihood (by 28 percent) of needing long-term or rehabilitation therapy immediately after their stay in hospital.
“The results of our study showed no signs that the coronavirus directly attacks the nervous system,” says study lead investigator Jennifer Frontera, MD. “The neurological complications seen in COVID-19 are predominately the secondary effects of being severely ill and suffering from low oxygen levels in the body for prolonged periods of time,” says Frontera, a professor in the Department of Neurology at NYU Langone Health.
Published in the journal Neurology online Oct. 5, the study closely monitored the progress of 606 COVID-19 adult patients diagnosed with brain or other nerve-related medical conditions at any of four NYU Langone hospitals in New York City and Long Island between March 10 and May 20, when coronavirus infections were at their peak in the region.
Frontera says that ahead of the pandemic, dozens of NYU Langone neurologists and trainees had deployed across its medical centers to assist with the expectant surge of COVID-19 patients.
Early reports from Asia and Europe, where infections had spiked before rising in the United States, she says, had also “raised the alarm” about possible brain damage from coronavirus infection. Because of this, the research team was ready to look for any signs of neurological dysfunction among the thousands of patients being admitted to hospital in the spring. Among all the hospitals, 4,491 patients tested positive for COVID-19 during that time.
Among the study’s other key results was that common neurological problems, such as confusion caused by chemical electrolyte imbalances, severe infection or kidney failure, usually arose within 48 hours of developing general COVID-19 symptoms, including fever, difficulty breathing, and cough.
Half of those neurologically affected were over the age of 71, which researchers say is significantly older than the other 3,885 patients with COVID-19 (at a media age of 63) who did not experience brain dysfunction. Most were men (66 percent) and white (63 percent). Frontera notes that the study results do suggest that Blacks are not at greater risk of neurological complications than other COVID-19 patients, which is “welcome news,” given that Blacks are widely known to be at greater risk of death from coronavirus infection. However, she says this potentially important observation requires further investigation.
While the coronavirus is known to attack other organs, including blood vessels and the heart, researchers say its main target is the lungs, where it makes breathing difficult, starving the body of oxygen it needs to stay alive. Low levels of oxygen in the body and brain was another common neurological problem, study results showed, that could lead to confusion, coma, or permanent brain damage.
“Our study results suggest that physicians need to be more aggressive in stabilizing body oxygen levels in patients with COVID-19 as a potentially key therapy for stopping, preventing and/or possibly reversing neurological problems,” says study senior investigator Steven Galetta, MD.
Galetta, the Philip K. Moskowitz, MD Professor and chair of the Department of Neurology at NYU Langone, says various blood-oxygen-raising therapies that could possibly work against neurological problems in patients with COVID-19 include early intubation or use of heart-lung machines, called ECMO, which mechanically “clean” the blood and “deliver” oxygen into it.
Funding support for the study was provided by National Institutes of Health grant P30 AG066512 and NYU Langone.
- SIMPLE AND EASY TO USE: The BinaxNOW Self Test from Abbott requires just a shallow nasal swab that you can do yourself; includes easy-to-follow instructions
- SEE RESULTS IN 15 MINUTES: Convenient, fast results anytime, anywhere; no need for a prescription or sending to a lab
- FOR AGES 2 TO ADULT: The self-test is indicated for children as young as 2 years old when administered by an adult, and for all people 15 and older to self-administer
- DESIGNED TO DETECT ACTIVE COVID-19 INFECTION: Includes 2 tests that are indicated for serial testing—simply test yourself twice within 3 days, at least 36 hours apart; designed to detect active infection with or without symptoms
- Works for symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals
- The QuickVue At-Home OTC COVID-19 Test is intended for the qualitative detection of the nucleocapsid proteins from SARS-CoV-2 from individuals with or without symptoms or other epidemiological reasons to suspect COVID-19 when tested twice over two or three days with at least 24 hours and no more than 36 hours between tests
- Ages 2 and up
- Positive results indicate the presence of viral foreign agent, but clinical correlation with past medical history and other diagnostic information is necessary to determine infection status
- How To Use: 1. Swab – Collect a gentle nasal swab sample. 2. Swirl – After adding the swab to the solution tube. 3. Dip – Put the strip into the tube. 4. Read Results – Straightforward and easy to read results
- Hardcover Book
- Mercola, Doctor Joseph (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 224 Pages - 04/29/2021 (Publication Date) - Chelsea Green Publishing (Publisher)
- PCR QUALITY AT-HOME SELF-TEST YOU CAN TRUST: Symptoms or not, Lucira Check It is 98% accurate at detecting SARS-CoV-2 compared to one of the best lab PCR tests.
- EASY TO USE, RAPID RESULTS: Includes a shallow nasal swab with easy-to-follow instructions. Results anytime, anywhere in 30 minutes or less.
- DETECTS COVID-19 VARIANTS: Lucira surveillance testing shows reactivity to US/CA, UK, South Africa, Japan/Brazil, and India variants.
- LUCI PASS, YOUR DIGITAL VERIFIED TEST RESULT: Get a downloadable Lucira COVID-19 test result on your phone for travel, work, school, and events.
- FOR AGES 2 TO ADULT: The self-test is authorized for children age 2-13 when administered by an adult, and for self-administration in ages 14 and older.
- Size: Slightly Larger To Fit Laminated 4”X 3” Cards - (4.3 X 3.5 Max Insert)-Thick, Sturdy Plastic Sleeve with Curved Edges Featuring Lightly Textured Back and Clear Front Window to Keep Your Health Document or other Card Damage Free,Outer Dimensions (4.5 x 4.25 inch)
- Suitable Occasion: Because Some Institutions/Organizations have requirements to see Immunization Record Vaccine Cards, these clear vaccination card protector would be a good solution and you don’t have to worry about your vaccine card being damaged or lost. Convenient to carry, display Vaccination Card at Airlines for Quick Entry. Name Recognition at School Event, Business Conference, Trade Show, Convention,Bus Pass,Festival are also applicable.[Card holder only,no card]
- Material: Durable PVC (poly vinyl chloride) material, wear-resistant and corrosion-resistant properties. WATERPROOF, SEALABLE Clear card pouch is made of flexible,Resealable zipper keeps contents safe and dry
- Waterproof Heavy Duty Reusable Badge Holders: Multi Purpose Use and Reuse for a Health Record Keeper or for Special or Promotional Events, Conventions, Concerts, Festivals, Retreats, Family & School Reunions, Store Tags, Fundraisers, Field Trips, PTA, Transit Bus, VIP Pass and More
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: Our warm-hearted service team provide 7*24H quality service, free return-full refund policy, if the product you received is broken or dissatisfied please feel free to contact after-sales team . *Please Note* The size of the vaccine card will vary, check the measurement results before purchasing. The product does not come with a vaccination card
- Schwab, Klaus (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 280 Pages - 07/09/2020 (Publication Date) - ISBN Agentur Schweiz (Publisher)
- Advaite offers FDA-EUA authorized RapCov Rapid COVID-19 Test. Offered in cartons of 25 test kits each.
- Results in 15 Minutes
- Detects Presence of IgG antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in human fingerstick blood. Intended for use as an aid in identifying individuals with an adaptive immune response to SARS-CoV-2, indicating recent or prior infection.
- Made Start to Finish in USA at FDA Registered Facilities
- Samples should only be tested from individuals that are 15 days or more post symptom onset. Emergency use of this test is limited to organizations and POC facilities operating under a CLIA Certificate of Waiver, Certificate of Compliance, or Certificate of Accreditation.
- 1._【DETAILS】:the customized COVID 19 Vaccination Bracelet is made of stainless steel and silicone,water-proof,not rust or turn colors,non-allergic; Length:8.67''(22cm); Gender:men; COVID-19 Vaccinated Bracelet / I GOT MY COVID 19 VACCINE SHOT Bracelet / Free Engraving Bracelet; Occasion:birthday gift,Graduation gift,Retirement Gift,Daily Wear Gift
- 2._【FEATURES】:COVID 19 Vaccination Jewelry,covid vaccinated wristband; (1)The Original Patented COVID-19 VACCINATED bracelet by Vaccine Alert.After you receive the vaccine,show others you have taken that step to indicate your new status and encourage others to do the same! (2)It is a free engraved customized Vaccinated Bracelet,like medical condition,medical allergies,drug allergies,name,date,latitude,quote,ICE,etc
- 3._【GIFT AND COLLECTIONS】The free engraving customised personalized
- 4._【WARRANTY】:We believe that communication is a problem-solving best way!Any question please feel free to contact us by contact seller,And 30 Days Return or Refund for Item Problem,Reliable Seller Here
- 5._【PACKAGE】:come with a OPP bag,any after-sales problem please feel free to contact seller,also,more styles welcome you to YLYYJ
- FDA AUTHORIZED HOME TEST FOR SARS-CoV-2 VIRUS DETECTION ON SYMPTOMATIC AND ASYMPTOMATIC INDIVIDUALS – This non-invasive easy to use at-home saliva test for COVID-19 has been FDA authorized for use by both individuals with and without symptoms of COVID-19. The test detects the presence of viral genetic material but will not confirm immunity or detect antibodies. This test is authorized by FDA for emergency use during the COVID emergency.
- SAFE, CONVENIENT, AT-HOME SAMPLE COLLECTION – Kit includes everything needed for sample collection. Only a small amount of saliva sample is needed. Avoid the discomfort of nasal swab and long lines for testing. Registration and sample collection can be done from the comfort of your home or office. Sample collection is unsupervised, so the report may not be valid for all travel purposes.
- FAST RESULTS – Prepaid express return shipping is included with the test. Results are available within 24 to 72 hours of sample receipt at the laboratory. Refund policy: the kit is not returnable once purchased and must be used within 60 days of purchase, refunds will be provided if the physician prescription is not authorized for any reason (such as for having emergency warning symptoms at sample registration) or if results are not provided due to fault of the shipment or testing process.
- ONLINE REGISTRATION AND AUTHORIZATION – Online registration and physician authorization process included with the kit. Samples must be registered into the DxTerity portal and returned to a FedEx collection location on the same day as collection, before the last express pick-up. Samples may not be collected on Sunday in most locations.
- EASY TO UNDERSTAND RESULTS – Fact sheet for patients and the official lab report will be available to you online and may be downloaded to serve as proof of your result. DxTerity developed the test and each sample is processed in our CLIA-Certified (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments) and CAP Accredited (College of American Pathologists) laboratory.
- Protect your Vaccine Card for proof of your vaccination for: future booster vaccination shots; International flights; Concerts / Events; Cruises; Schools / Colleges
- Custom made in the USA (Domino Plastics Manufacturing) of recycled plastics to perfectly and solidly fit your CDC Covid-19 Vaccination Card, issued by the US Government
- The red stipe with our hashtag provides privacy and security so people are unable to see your Birthdate nor your Medical ID information
- The slim design comfortably slides into your wallet, passport or handbag for presentation at travel checkpoints, medical facilities, and other institutions where proof of vaccine may be required in the future. The side pocket provides easy access for the document to be updated when you receive your booster vaccines as well!
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.