Nerves release a protein at the injury site that attracts growing nerve fibers and thus keeps them entrapped there. This prevents them from growing in the right direction to bridge the injury. The research team headed by Professor Dietmar Fischer reports in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) from 25. May 2021.
There must be another cause
Three main causes for the inability of injured nerves of the central nervous system, or CNS, to regenerate have been known to date: the insufficient activation of a regeneration program in injured nerve cells that stimulates the growth of fibers, so-called axons; the formation of a scar at the site of injury that is difficult for nerve fibers to penetrate; and an inhibitory effect of molecules in the nerve on regrowing axons. “Although experimental approaches have been found in recent decades to address these individual aspects by therapeutic means, even combinatorial approaches have shown only little success,” says Fischer. “So there must be other yet unknown causes for why nerve fibers in the CNS don’t regenerate.”
Using the optic nerve as a model, his team has now shown another cause for the regenerative failure in the CNS, which came as a surprise to the researchers. The underlying mechanism is not based on inhibition of axon growth, as in the previously identified causes, but rather on a positive effect of a protein at the site of injury of the nerve. This molecule is a so-called chemokine known as CXCL12. “The protein actually promotes the growth of axons and attracts regenerating fibers. It is, therefore, chemoattractive,” explains Fischer. However, this chemoattraction turned out to be a significant problem after nerve injury in living animals.
Trapped nerve fibers
The Bochum-based scientists showed that this protein is released at the nerve’s lesion site and, as a result, keeps the axons at the injured area through the chemoattractive effect. As a result, some fibers that had already regenerated across the injury site even changed direction, growing back to the injury site. The regrowing fibers thus remained trapped due to the attraction of CXCL12.
The researchers worked out this effect when they specifically eliminated the receptor for CXCL12, called CXCR4, in the retinal nerve cells, rendering them blind to this protein. “Surprisingly, this led to greatly increased fiber growth in the injured optic nerves, and axons showed significantly less regrowth back to the injury site,” Dietmar Fischer points out.
A potential starting point for new drugs
The researchers then investigated where at the injury site the CXCL12 originated. They found out that about eight percent of the nerve cells in the retina produce this protein themselves, transport it along their fibers to the injury site in the optic nerve, and release it there from the severed axons. “It is still unknown why some of these nerve cells make CXCL12 and others make the receptor,” says Fischer. “We don’t yet understand the physiological role of the protein, but we can see that it is a major inhibitor of neural repair.”
In further experiments, the Bochum-based researchers showed that knocking out CXCL12 in retinal nerve cells so that it could no longer be released at the injury site equally improved axonal regeneration into the optic nerve. “These new findings open the opportunity to develop pharmacological approaches aimed at disrupting the interaction of CXCL12 and its receptor on the nerve fibers, to free them from their captivity at the site of injury,” concludes Fischer. Whether similar approaches can also promote the regeneration of axons in other areas of the injured brain or spinal cord is the subject of current studies by his team at the Department of Cell Physiology.
- RELIEF OF MINOR INJURIES TO EXTREMITIES SYMPTOMS: Temporarily relieves pain or minor injuries to extremities
- EASY TO TAKE HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE: Quick-dissolving tablets that melt in your mouth almost instantly
- 250 TABLETS = UP TO 125 DOSES: of Hypericum Perf. 30X
- NATURAL MINOR INJURIES TO EXTREMITIES SYMPTOM RELIEF MEDICINE
- SAFE AND NON-HABIT FORMING: Our gentle homeopathic formulas are made with all natural active ingredients. There are no known side-effects and will not conflict with any medications you may be taking
- Russell, Stephen (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 240 Pages - 05/07/2015 (Publication Date) - Thieme (Publisher)
- FAST RECOVERY–The brace support will increase blood circulation and reduce recovery time by providing a soothing relief to the pain.
- FAST PAIN RELIEF – The special design of this brace brings you the most effective groin compression strap for pulled muscle, hip tendonitis, sciatic nerve pain relief,hamstring injury.
- DESIGN ADVANTAGE – The groin compression is universal, completely adjustable for right or left leg, men and women
- KEEPS YOU MOVING – The strong groin brace and hip flexor support keeps your muscles warm offering hip pain relief without limiting your movements.
- 100% REFUND-We give you refund if the hip support does not fit you
- 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒𝐈𝐎𝐍 groin brace, hip brace or thigh brace does not provide enough hip pain relief, sciatica pain relief or sciatica hip pain relief the ODOFIT hip compression brace, with its UNIQUE hamstring compression sleeve, has been used by our clients for, piriformis syndrome relief, hip pain, surgery recovery, groin muscle support, sciatica relief, hip support brace women and hamstring pain. The ODOFIT sciatica brace is 100% NEOPRENE to provide sciatica aid!
- Remember your Last Painless Day? With the ODOFIT thigh compression sleeve, wrap hamstring brace forget about pain in hip area, hip flexor pain or groin wrap groin strain pain support and SPEED UP your RECOVERY for hip thigh pain, hip flexor pain and relief for sciatic nerve pain in leg. We designed the most efficient groin wrap, hip brace for women to make you FORGET the constant right side hip pain and offer you nerve pain relief!
- 𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐈-𝐒𝐋𝐈𝐏𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐍 groin muscle support by ODOFIT was engineered with a 3-strap design to provide hamstring compression, hip thigh support, back and hip support and sciatica pain relief for women everything was considered to create this neoprene hip brace. Featuring 2 longer and one shorter STRAPS, this hamstring wrap creates optimal hip flexor pain relief, sciatica hip pain relief hip and hip thigh relief. The waistband of this sciatic nerve brace prevents the thigh wrap to slip.
- The PERFECT GIFT for a loved one! Do you know anyone who need nerve pain relief, hamstring compression sleeve or thigh wrap for pain? Then ODOFIT offers a solution with this sciatic support brace and groin compression wrap for women. The UNIQUE design of this sciatic nerve pain relief brace is suitable for both MEN and WOMEN with the reversible design which fits both LEFT and RIGHT leg. The bursitis hip braceis suitable for people with waists up to 42”, thigh size up to 27” and taller than 5’3”.
- YOU DESERVE ONLY THE BEST QUALITY! ODOFIT stands by its values offering 60-day warranty for the sciatica pain relief brace, hip pain relief devices, hamstring brace, compression wrap and hamstring stretcher device everything in one hip stabilizer brace. The hip groin brace can also be used as a sacroiliac belt, hip stretcher and hip flexor brace. Add to cart one of the hip brace for sciatica pain relief and if you are not 110% happy, you will receive a FULL REFUND!
- Hardcover Book
- English (Publication Language)
- 700 Pages - 05/07/2015 (Publication Date) - Academic Press (Publisher)
- ✅𝗕𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗛𝗔𝗕𝗟𝗘 𝗡𝗘𝗢𝗣𝗥𝗘𝗡𝗘𝗕𝗟𝗘𝗡𝗗: The superior neoprene blend is durable yet gives the perfect stretch to offer an ergonomic fit and perfect back support. Except for carrying hot & cold gel packs, it can also be used as a standalone back brace for reliving back pains caused by Sciatica, Herniated disc, Osteoarthritis, Post-operative support, Lumbar spine injuries.
- ✅𝗟𝗢𝗡𝗚-𝗟𝗔𝗦𝗧 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗥𝗘𝗨𝗦𝗔𝗕𝗟𝗘 𝗚𝗘𝗟 𝗣𝗔𝗖𝗞𝗦: The ARRIS back ice pack is filled with 800g freezable gel (1.77 lb), which is almost the largest gel packs with belt wrap for lower back pain relief in the market. Thanks to the -13°F freezing point, the gel ice pack can endure more than 20 minutes freezing time.
- ✅𝗧𝗔𝗥𝗚𝗘𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗕𝗔𝗖𝗞 𝗣𝗔𝗜𝗡 𝗥𝗘𝗟𝗜𝗘𝗙: Uniquely designed to provide targeted back pain relief by contouring to the shape of back, this lower back ice pack actively reduces inflammation to alleviate pain associated with lower lumbar, sciatic nerve pain relief, degenerative disc disease, and coccyx tailbone pain.
- ✅𝗗𝗢𝗨𝗕𝗟𝗘-𝗣𝗨𝗟𝗟 𝗧𝗘𝗡𝗦𝗜𝗢𝗡 𝗦𝗧𝗥𝗔𝗣𝗦: ARRIS pain relief back wrap is specially designed with 2 adjustable straps that fit most average to plus size men and women with waist circumferences up to 49inchs. The double-pull tension straps can provide extra compression to back, making ice pack tight to targeted area to achieve a quicker pain relief and deeper level of cold therapy.
- ✅𝗛𝗢𝗧 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗖𝗢𝗟𝗗 𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗥𝗔𝗣𝗬: Combines therapeutic compression with soothing hot or cold therapy to relieve pain and inflammation in the lower back at maximum efficiency.
- 3 IN 1 THERAPY: 1: Compression brace worn WITH hot/cold gel pack insert. 2: Compression wrap can also be worn as a hip brace WITHOUT a gel pack insert. 3: Hot Cold gel pack can be applied directly to the treatment area
- HEAT & COLD THERAPY: Our hip ice pack wrap provides hot cold therapy. Use to relieve pain and promote injury or surgery recovery from groin pulls, flexor strains, sciatica, SI joint injuries, pulled hamstring, hip bursitis, hip arthritis, labral tear, or other injuries that cause discomfort in the hip or thigh area
- UNISEX AND UNIVERSAL SIZE: Our adjustable hip stabilizer braces are designed for both men and women with hip sizes up to 44 " & thighs up to 29”. Braces can be worn on either the right or left leg
- COMFORTABLE SUPPORT BRACE：Our hip bursitis braces are made of breathable neoprene for a comfortable fit under or over clothes. With wide and durable hook and loop fasteners, you can set the hip wraps to your desired level of support and compression
- ANTI-SLIP DESIGN: Our hamstring wraps remain in place and don’t roll up like other cheaper hip flexor braces on the market. The waistband wrap firmly secures the wrap in place and the ice/hot pack also provides stability
- Hardcover Book
- Barrett DPM MBA, Stephen L. (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 04/13/2016 (Publication Date) - Elsevier (Publisher)
- 88% COPPER INFUSED content: If you are looking for reliable groin support or groin wrap, hip brace, or hip support for the fastest recovery after injury or hip replacement, search no more. Zenkeyz brings you the most effective groin compression strap for strains, quads, pulled muscle, hip joint pain, hip tendonitis, hip flexor, sciatic nerve pain relief, hip labral tear, hip bursitis, sciatica.
- WHY CHOOSE a 3 strap design? Unlike other flimsy hip pain relief devices, our groin injury support NON-SLIP DESIGN comes with 3 straps for easy adjustment and positioning. Our sciatica brace fits like a glove and provides sciatica aid or helps as a sacroiliac belt with SI joint, or hip adductor issues.
- WHY LEFT and RIGHT LEG choice? While most braces are universal, they will always close in the back if not designed for the correct leg. Limited mobility makes the application and adjustment extremely difficult. Choose the best hip compression brace or hip stretcher for your leg.
- UNISEX & UNIVERSAL size: The sciatic nerve pain relief brace is suitable for both MEN and WOMEN. The bursitis hip brace is suitable for people with waists up to 44”, thigh size up to 27” and taller than 5’3”. The sciatic support brace and groin compression wrap for women will make you forget about that hip pain.
- NO-HASSLE RETURNS: If for any reason our groin and hip wrap does not work in your case, if large or small, just inform us and we will offer you a 100% refund, money-back guarantee. Product Materials: Latex-Free Neoprene, 88% Copper Nylon 12% Spandex. FSA or HSA eligible
- PERFECT GROIN SUPPORT FOR ACTIVE LIFESTYLES: Premium quality adjustable straps for perfect fit and comfort, suitable for everyday activities helping you stay active
- PAIN RELIEVING GROIN BRACE: Medically engineered to help relieve pain associated with sciatic nerve, groin strains, sprains, as well as aid recovery from hip, thigh, hamstring or repeated groin injuries
- MEDICAL GRADE: Registered internationally as a Class 1 Medical Device with regulatory bodies, such as the FDA (US), Health Canada & the MHRA (UK). Manufactured to the highest quality and compliant standards, Neo G is also the official Partner of The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (UK equivalent of the American Physical Therapy Association)
- PREMIUM GRADE NEOPRENE: The heat therapeutic neoprene helps warm muscles and joints aiding with muscular aches, pains and stiffness. It is useful during rehabilitation helping the adductor muscles and tendons around the groin
- ONE SIZE AND FULLY ADJUSTABLE COMPRESSION FOR BEST FIT: Universal size (one size fits most), fits the Left or Right leg and is Unisex suitable for men and women. The adjustable compression system ensures blood flow safety, giving support to the affected area
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.