A new study into the genetics underlying restless legs syndrome has identified 13 previously-unknown genetic risk variants, while helping inform potential new treatment options for the condition.
As many as one in ten people of European ancestry is affected by restless legs syndrome, in which sufferers feel an overwhelming urge to move, often in conjunction with unpleasant sensations, usually in the legs. Rest and inactivity provoke the symptoms, whereas movement can lead to temporary relief. The condition is chronic and can get progressively worse, with long-lasting effects on patients’ mental and physical health. People with restless legs syndrome have substantially impaired sleep, reduced overall quality of life, and increased risk of depression, anxiety disorders, hypertension, and, possibly, cardiovascular disease.
For around one in 50 people, the condition can be severe enough to require chronic medication, which may in turn have potentially serious side effects.
Studies of families and twins have shown that there is a strong genetic component to the disorder and led to the discovery of six genetic variants that increased the risk of developing the condition.
“We have studied the genetics of restless legs syndrome for more than 10 years and the current study is the largest conducted so far,” says Dr Barbara Schormair from the Institute of Neurogenomics at the Helmholtz Zentrum München, first author of the study. “We are convinced that the newly discovered risk loci will contribute substantially to our understanding of the causal biology of the disease.”
Now, an international team of researchers has compared the genetic data from over 15,000 patients with more than 95,000 controls, and identified a further 13 genetic risk variants. The findings were then replicated in a sample of 31,000 patients and 287,000 controls. The results are published in Lancet Neurology.
“Restless legs syndrome is surprisingly common, but despite this, we know little about what causes it – and hence how to treat it,” says Dr Steven Bell from the Department of Public Health and Primary Care at the University of Cambridge, also one of the first authors on the study. “We already know that it has a strong genetic link, and this was something we wanted to explore in more detail.”
Several of the genetic variants have previously been linked to the growth and development of nerve cells – a process known as neurogenesis – and to changes in the formation of neuronal circuits. These findings strengthen the case for restless legs syndrome being a neurodevelopmental disorder whose origins may go back to development in the womb as well as impaired nerve cell growth in later life.
“The genetic risk variants that we’ve discovered add more weight to the idea that this condition is related to the development of our nervous system,” says Dr Emanuele Di Angelantonio, also from the Department of Public Health and Primary Care. “It also gives us some clues to how we may treat patients affected by the condition.”
Prof Juliane Winkelmann, who heads the Institute of Neurogenomics at the Helmholtz Zentrum as well as a restless legs syndrome outpatient clinic at the Klinikum Rechts der Isar in Munich, adds: “Our genetic findings are an important step towards developing new and improved treatment options for our patients.”
One particular biological pathway implicated by the findings is known to be a target for the drug thalidomide. While the drug has a controversial reputation due to its previous use when treating pregnant women that led to serious birth defects in their offspring, it is now used to treat some cancers. The researchers suggest that thalidomide or similar drugs may offer potential treatment options for male patients with restless leg syndrome and female patients beyond reproductive age, but they stress the necessity of rigorous clinical testing for efficacy and side-effects before any such use.
The study was largely funded by NHS Blood and Transplant, National Institute for Health Research, British Heart Foundation, European Commission, European Research Council, National Institute for Health Research Cambridge Biomedical Research Centre, UK Medical Research Council, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) and Helmholtz Zentrum München.
- Used Book in Good Condition
- Buchfuhrer MD, Mark J. (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 255 Pages - 11/28/2006 (Publication Date) - Demos Health (Publisher)
- RELIEVE RESTLESS LEGS* - This formula is specially designed for symptoms of restless leg syndrome fast and is a safer, easier to swallow and more affordable option compared to other competitors. Just take two to three of these gluten-free, non-GMO, vegetarian capsules one hour before bed for discomfort of tingling legs and feet. Sleep easy and feel well-rested at last.
- QUALITY SLEEP AID* - Everyone with restless leg syndrome knows that one of the hardest things about it is the disruption of sleep it causes. Widely used in Chinese medicine, Suan Zao Ren is a highly treasured herb due to its ability to promote restorative sleep.* Suan zao ren contains jujubosides, specific triterpenes that produce sedative effects, thus promoting better quality sleep. Finally find that restful sleep you deserve.*
- BRAIN FUNCTION- MD. Life Stop Restless Legs may help improve mood and cognitive function. Curcumin helps boost levels of the brain hormone( BDNF) brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Suan Zao Ren’s calming effect on the nervous system may help to relieve stress and anxiety, whilst L-theanine may increase focus and concentration. Finally, vitamin D3 helps to regulate mood.*
- HEART HEALTH- MD. Life Stop Restless Legs antioxidants in curcumin may prevent oxidative damage to the cells that can lead to chronic inflammation. Ingredients like Suan Zao Ren and L-Theanine help to regulate blood pressure and circulation.*
- DOCTOR DESIGNED, QUALITY ASSURED-MD. Life Stop Restless Legs is expert formulated and made in small batches with superior ingredient sourcing. Made and packaged in the USA inside our FDA registered facility, MD. Life supplements are GMP certified and undergo extensive third-party testing. Having third party certification means these products comply with specific standards set for safety, quality and performance.
- ENHANCED WITH VITAMINS - MgSport is the only magnesium supplement with Vitamin B6, Vitamin E and Vitamin D for better absorption to help with muscle spasms and restless leg syndrome. Helps with leg, calf and foot cramps for athletes and runners. It is also Keto friendly as a lot of Keto diets lack magneisum rich foods and need to be supplemented.
- MUSCLE RELAXER - Magnesium is the miracle mineral! It assists in leg cramps, heart palpitation, energy production, bowel motions, sleep, bone formation, relaxation, positive mood, blood pressure, migraines and many other processes in the body! MgSport is an excellent magnesium for women and men. This supplement supports calcium absorption.
- SMALL CAPSULES AND PURE FORMULA - MgSport comes in a small veggie capsule. It's gluten and dairy free. It is not buffered, easy to swallow, contains no artificial colors, no stearates and definitely not propylene glycol. MgSport has higher proven absorption than magnesium oxide, magnesium malate, magnesium taurate, chelated magnesium, magnesium glycinate, magnesium oxide and magnesium orotate.
- CLINICALLY TESTED - MgSport is the only magnesium supplement which is backed by a clinical study. The study shows these pills are absorbed three times more than magnesium citrate in the cellular level to help with muscle recovery. Each capsule contains 380mg of elemental magnesium.
- A PORTION OF MGSPORT PROFITS GOES TO CHARITY - We are proudly working with charity:water, our nonprofit partner, to help bring clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations. By choosing MgSport products not only are you getting a top quality product, you are also helping to improve the quality of life of other people. Win-Win!
- Lee, Hochang B. (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 368 Pages - 04/01/2013 (Publication Date) - Professional Communications, Inc. (Publisher)
- Amazon Kindle Edition
- Baumann, T. Lee (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 91 Pages - 04/12/2016 (Publication Date)
- ALTERNATIVE PAIN RELIEF FOR SORE MUSCLES, HEADACHES, JOINT PAIN & MORE: Magnum Solace is proud to introduce a natural Magnesium Oil spray UNIQUELY SOURCED from one of the BEST therapeutic locations on earth – the Dead Sea. Magnesium is an absolute essential mineral the body needs to perform daily functions including metabolizing fatty acids and proteins. Magnesium is also a key factor in what is called neuromuscular transmission and muscle relaxation.
- MAGNESIUM OIL WORKS - it's considered to be one of the best natural remedies for restless legs, sore muscles, stress relief, anxiety relief, leg cramps, headaches, migraines & various bodily aches. It also helps you relax in the evening, fall asleep easier, and sleep better throughout the night.
- ULTRA PURE, Odorless, Clear - Our Magnesium Oil is 100% PURE & TESTED - Made using 6 stages of purification and reverse osmosis technology. HIGH QUALITY - our laboratory testing facility is government certified and staffed with professional technician experts in saline mixtures.
- Packed with 18 mg elemental magnesium per spray / 180 mg per application of 10 sprays / 27,000 mg per 8 oz bottle.
- Uniquely sourced from the Dead Sea, this is a fantastic alternative to magnesium chloride flakes. Apply with coconut oil for maximum comfort. IT WORKS OR YOUR MONEY BACK - magnesium oil works with CONSISTENT application, it works extremely well - We guarantee you'll get results or you get 100% refund, no questions asked. BUY NOW WITH CONFIDENCE!
- NATURAL RELIEF - MagniLife penetrating leg cream helps to relax and soothe the uncomfortable sensations that can make it difficult to fall asleep. Relaxing Leg Cream is a go-to when your legs just won’t stay still. Helps to calm the discomfort and restlessness so that you can get the sleep you need and wake up feeling refreshed and ready for whatever the day brings.
- ALL-NATURAL INGREDIENTS - Naturally derived, intense moisturizing herbal cream soothes aching, busy legs with magnesium, aloe, cudweed, lavender, sage and ylang-ylang. Our deep penetrating, non-greasy formula contains active ingredients to help deliver fast-acting, serious relief when you need it most.
- NON-HABIT FORMING - Provides a natural alternative to other sleep aids. If you are tired of tossing and turning, now you can get the rest you need without side effects or the risk of dependency.
- SAFE, PLANT-DERIVED TOPICAL - A great benefit of our cream is it does not interfere with other medications. A safe option for someone who is currently taking medication or wants to avoid medicines that can be harsh on the body.
- TRUSTED BRAND WITH YOU IN MIND - MagniLife has been a trusted business for over 20 years. All of our products are developed and manufactured in our state-of-the art facilities. Made with highly qualified formulators to ensure excellence in quality and consistency, we ensure top quality products and are dedicated to providing products that help to improve quality of life. Start your journey to a healthy lifestyle today!
- Eldeston, Emily (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 158 Pages - 02/04/2015 (Publication Date) - IMB Publishing (Publisher)
- ✅CHEMICAL FREE CHOICE: Made using pure magnesium oil and organic (USDA) essential oils, this all natural formula spray is one of the safest restless leg products on the market
- ✅QUICK RLS RELIEF: The powerful magnesium oil spray formula with orange, cedarwood and lavender oils provides effective restless legs relief to ensure restful nights.
- ✅HONESTY ALERT: There is no guarantee that Magnesium deficiency is the root cause of your restless leg syndrome, BUT studies show that more than 2/3rds of Americans are Magnesium deficient, a leading cause for RLS. And as you’ll find in the reviews, it works for MANY but not ALL of our customers. If you find that it "Didn't work for me", drop us an email and we'll refund you right away with no hassle - TRY IT OUT ON OUR EXPENSE!
- ✅ABSORBS RAPIDLY: This RLS topical transdermal magnesium therapy doesn’t only have a higher absorption rate, and works faster than anything else, but it’s also kinder to the skin than other RLS products and completely safe.
- ✅MADE IN THE USA: Our Magnesium Chloride oil is mined from its purest state and tested to the stringent U.S Pharmacopeia (USP) grade.
- HIGH POTENCY PURE MAGNESIUM COMPLEX – Naychur’s magnesium provides 500 mg of magnesium complex in a single, tasteless, and easy to swallow vegetarian capsule, without any added preservatives or binders. As an essential mineral for your body, each capsule contains a blend of high absorption magnesium citrate.
- MUSCLE RELAXATION & RECOVERY – Muscle tightness, tingling, numbness or aches from physical exertion are largely signs of a lack magnesium levels in your body. Muscle tension and tightness can have a drastic impact on the quality of your life, workouts, and even disrupt your healthy sleep patterns (i.e. restless leg syndrome). Our magnesium capsules are carefully crafted to offer fast and efficient relief to help calm and relax your muscles for improved comfort, recovery, and sleep!
- BONE DENSITY & STRENGTH – When considering the most crucial elements in your body, Magnesium should come to mind for all its outstanding benefits. Higher intake of magnesium is closely associated with enhanced bone density of the hip, spine, etc. Magnesium is essential in aiding the activity of the hormone in your body that delivers calcium to your bones and teeth, where it brings the most benefit.
- HEART HEALTH, BLOOD SUGAR SUPPORT & ENERGY PRODUCTION – No other organ requires more magnesium than your heart, and our blend is designed to support a healthy cardiovascular function, helping to relax blood vessels, maintain a healthy blood pressure and strong heart. Our magnesium complex aids the enzymatic breakdown of sugars, carbs, and fats into energy, supporting healthy blood glucose levels, all while improving your body’s enzyme function and energy production!
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE (GMP CERTIFIED FACILITY) – No need to worry when taking Naychur supplements. Our products are proudly formulated in the USA at an FDA registered facility under GMP certified facility (Good Manufacturing Practice) standards. Naychur is backed by a 100% guarantee that you are fully satisfied with your product or receive your money back. Please contact us if you experience any issues, because customer satisfaction is our #1 policy!
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.