MINNEAPOLIS – COVID-19 can lead to a broad range of neurologic complications including stroke, seizures, movement disorders, inflammatory diseases and more, even in moderate cases, according to a new study published in the December 9, 2020, online issue of Neurology® Clinical Practice, an official journal of the American Academy of Neurology.
“We looked at people with neurologic symptoms and COVID at a racially and socioeconomically diverse hospital and found a wide range of neurologic complications–spanning inflammatory complications, stroke and other vascular conditions, metabolic problems, exacerbation of underlying neurologic conditions and more,” said study author Pria Anand, M.D. of Boston University School of Medicine in Massachusetts and a member of the American Academy of Neurology. “Yet the majority of these people did not require critical care, suggesting that neurologic complications may be common in people with moderate COVID-19 as well as those with severe disease.”
The study involved 74 people who between April 15 and July 1, 2020, tested positive for COVID-19 and were evaluated for various neurologic conditions at a large hospital serving underserved, low-income and elderly people in Boston, Mass. The average age was 64. A total of 47 people had prior history of neurologic disease.
At the time of hospitalization, 18 people had strokes, 15 had seizures and 26 people had a type of brain dysfunction that causes confusion and delirium. Seven people had movement disorders, including five people with myoclonus, which involves sudden, brief twitching of the muscles. Three people had traumatic brain injuries due to falls in their homes after developing COVID-19. One person had signs of developing autoimmune encephalitis, a rare, complex disease where the body’s immune system attacks itself, yet these symptoms improved after the person received corticosteroids.
Ten people died in the hospital. The people who survived had moderately severe disability, on average, at the time they left the hospital, compared to mild disability before their hospitalization. A total of 27 people were able to return home with or without home health services, 20 went to skilled nursing facilities, including 11 who had previously been living at home, and nine went to acute rehabilitation centers, including eight who had been living at home. Three people went to long-term acute care hospitals and five people were entered into hospice, either at home or as an inpatient.
“More research is needed to fully understand the breadth of neurologic complications associated with COVID-19 infection,” Anand said. “In addition, while our study included a high proportion of persons from underserved racial and ethnic groups and we know that COVID-19 disproportionately affects these populations, our study did not include enough people overall and enough people affected by each neurologic condition to assess any relationships between factors such as race and ethnicity, health care access and housing and people’s neurologic outcomes. We plan to conduct additional studies to help determine what factors may either predispose people to neurologic complications or protect them from these complications, with the goal of using the results to help identify people at highest risk and look for prevention methods.”
A limitation of the study was that some people with neurologic complications were not evaluated by or admitted to neurology or neurocritical care services, so they were not included in the analysis. These could have included people with mild neurologic symptoms as well as critically ill people who received a limited neurologic exam.
The study was supported by the Grinspoon Junior Faculty Research Grant.
Learn more about COVID-19 at BrainandLife.org, home of the American Academy of Neurology’s free patient and caregiver magazine focused on the intersection of neurologic disease and brain health. Follow Brain & Life® on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
When posting to social media channels about this research, we encourage you to use the hashtags #Neurology and #AANscience.
The American Academy of Neurology is the world’s largest association of neurologists and neuroscience professionals, with over 36,000 members. The AAN is dedicated to promoting the highest quality patient-centered neurologic care. A neurologist is a doctor with specialized training in diagnosing, treating and managing disorders of the brain and nervous system such as Alzheimer’s disease, stroke, migraine, multiple sclerosis, concussion, Parkinson’s disease and epilepsy.
For more information about the American Academy of Neurology, visit AAN.com or find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube.
- SIMPLE AND EASY TO USE: The BinaxNOW Self Test from Abbott requires just a shallow nasal swab that you can do yourself; includes easy-to-follow instructions
- SEE RESULTS IN 15 MINUTES: Convenient, fast results anytime, anywhere; no need for a prescription or sending to a lab
- FOR AGES 2 TO ADULT: The self-test is indicated for children as young as 2 years old when administered by an adult, and for all people 15 and older to self-administer
- DESIGNED TO DETECT ACTIVE COVID-19 INFECTION: Includes 2 tests that are indicated for serial testing—simply test yourself twice within 3 days, at least 36 hours apart; designed to detect active infection with or without symptoms
- Works for symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals
- The QuickVue At-Home OTC COVID-19 Test is intended for the qualitative detection of the nucleocapsid proteins from SARS-CoV-2 from individuals with or without symptoms or other epidemiological reasons to suspect COVID-19 when tested twice over two or three days with at least 24 hours and no more than 36 hours between tests
- Ages 2 and up
- Positive results indicate the presence of viral foreign agent, but clinical correlation with past medical history and other diagnostic information is necessary to determine infection status
- How To Use: 1. Swab – Collect a gentle nasal swab sample. 2. Swirl – After adding the swab to the solution tube. 3. Dip – Put the strip into the tube. 4. Read Results – Straightforward and easy to read results
- Hardcover Book
- Mercola, Doctor Joseph (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 224 Pages - 04/29/2021 (Publication Date) - Chelsea Green Publishing (Publisher)
- PCR QUALITY AT-HOME SELF-TEST YOU CAN TRUST: Symptoms or not, Lucira Check It is 98% accurate at detecting SARS-CoV-2 compared to one of the best lab PCR tests.
- EASY TO USE, RAPID RESULTS: Includes a shallow nasal swab with easy-to-follow instructions. Results anytime, anywhere in 30 minutes or less.
- DETECTS COVID-19 VARIANTS: Lucira surveillance testing shows reactivity to US/CA, UK, South Africa, Japan/Brazil, and India variants.
- LUCI PASS, YOUR DIGITAL VERIFIED TEST RESULT: Get a downloadable Lucira COVID-19 test result on your phone for travel, work, school, and events.
- FOR AGES 2 TO ADULT: The self-test is authorized for children age 2-13 when administered by an adult, and for self-administration in ages 14 and older.
- Size: Slightly Larger To Fit Laminated 4”X 3” Cards - (4.3 X 3.5 Max Insert)-Thick, Sturdy Plastic Sleeve with Curved Edges Featuring Lightly Textured Back and Clear Front Window to Keep Your Health Document or other Card Damage Free,Outer Dimensions (4.5 x 4.25 inch)
- Suitable Occasion: Because Some Institutions/Organizations have requirements to see Immunization Record Vaccine Cards, these clear vaccination card protector would be a good solution and you don’t have to worry about your vaccine card being damaged or lost. Convenient to carry, display Vaccination Card at Airlines for Quick Entry. Name Recognition at School Event, Business Conference, Trade Show, Convention,Bus Pass,Festival are also applicable.[Card holder only,no card]
- Material: Durable PVC (poly vinyl chloride) material, wear-resistant and corrosion-resistant properties. WATERPROOF, SEALABLE Clear card pouch is made of flexible,Resealable zipper keeps contents safe and dry
- Waterproof Heavy Duty Reusable Badge Holders: Multi Purpose Use and Reuse for a Health Record Keeper or for Special or Promotional Events, Conventions, Concerts, Festivals, Retreats, Family & School Reunions, Store Tags, Fundraisers, Field Trips, PTA, Transit Bus, VIP Pass and More
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: Our warm-hearted service team provide 7*24H quality service, free return-full refund policy, if the product you received is broken or dissatisfied please feel free to contact after-sales team . *Please Note* The size of the vaccine card will vary, check the measurement results before purchasing. The product does not come with a vaccination card
- Schwab, Klaus (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 280 Pages - 07/09/2020 (Publication Date) - ISBN Agentur Schweiz (Publisher)
- Advaite offers FDA-EUA authorized RapCov Rapid COVID-19 Test. Offered in cartons of 25 test kits each.
- Results in 15 Minutes
- Detects Presence of IgG antibodies to SARS-CoV-2 in human fingerstick blood. Intended for use as an aid in identifying individuals with an adaptive immune response to SARS-CoV-2, indicating recent or prior infection.
- Made Start to Finish in USA at FDA Registered Facilities
- Samples should only be tested from individuals that are 15 days or more post symptom onset. Emergency use of this test is limited to organizations and POC facilities operating under a CLIA Certificate of Waiver, Certificate of Compliance, or Certificate of Accreditation.
- 1._【DETAILS】:the customized COVID 19 Vaccination Bracelet is made of stainless steel and silicone,water-proof,not rust or turn colors,non-allergic; Length:8.67''(22cm); Gender:men; COVID-19 Vaccinated Bracelet / I GOT MY COVID 19 VACCINE SHOT Bracelet / Free Engraving Bracelet; Occasion:birthday gift,Graduation gift,Retirement Gift,Daily Wear Gift
- 2._【FEATURES】:COVID 19 Vaccination Jewelry,covid vaccinated wristband; (1)The Original Patented COVID-19 VACCINATED bracelet by Vaccine Alert.After you receive the vaccine,show others you have taken that step to indicate your new status and encourage others to do the same! (2)It is a free engraved customized Vaccinated Bracelet,like medical condition,medical allergies,drug allergies,name,date,latitude,quote,ICE,etc
- 3._【GIFT AND COLLECTIONS】The free engraving customised personalized
- 4._【WARRANTY】:We believe that communication is a problem-solving best way!Any question please feel free to contact us by contact seller,And 30 Days Return or Refund for Item Problem,Reliable Seller Here
- 5._【PACKAGE】:come with a OPP bag,any after-sales problem please feel free to contact seller,also,more styles welcome you to YLYYJ
- FDA AUTHORIZED HOME TEST FOR SARS-CoV-2 VIRUS DETECTION ON SYMPTOMATIC AND ASYMPTOMATIC INDIVIDUALS – This non-invasive easy to use at-home saliva test for COVID-19 has been FDA authorized for use by both individuals with and without symptoms of COVID-19. The test detects the presence of viral genetic material but will not confirm immunity or detect antibodies. This test is authorized by FDA for emergency use during the COVID emergency.
- SAFE, CONVENIENT, AT-HOME SAMPLE COLLECTION – Kit includes everything needed for sample collection. Only a small amount of saliva sample is needed. Avoid the discomfort of nasal swab and long lines for testing. Registration and sample collection can be done from the comfort of your home or office. Sample collection is unsupervised, so the report may not be valid for all travel purposes.
- FAST RESULTS – Prepaid express return shipping is included with the test. Results are available within 24 to 72 hours of sample receipt at the laboratory. Refund policy: the kit is not returnable once purchased and must be used within 60 days of purchase, refunds will be provided if the physician prescription is not authorized for any reason (such as for having emergency warning symptoms at sample registration) or if results are not provided due to fault of the shipment or testing process.
- ONLINE REGISTRATION AND AUTHORIZATION – Online registration and physician authorization process included with the kit. Samples must be registered into the DxTerity portal and returned to a FedEx collection location on the same day as collection, before the last express pick-up. Samples may not be collected on Sunday in most locations.
- EASY TO UNDERSTAND RESULTS – Fact sheet for patients and the official lab report will be available to you online and may be downloaded to serve as proof of your result. DxTerity developed the test and each sample is processed in our CLIA-Certified (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments) and CAP Accredited (College of American Pathologists) laboratory.
- Protect your Vaccine Card for proof of your vaccination for: future booster vaccination shots; International flights; Concerts / Events; Cruises; Schools / Colleges
- Custom made in the USA (Domino Plastics Manufacturing) of recycled plastics to perfectly and solidly fit your CDC Covid-19 Vaccination Card, issued by the US Government
- The red stipe with our hashtag provides privacy and security so people are unable to see your Birthdate nor your Medical ID information
- The slim design comfortably slides into your wallet, passport or handbag for presentation at travel checkpoints, medical facilities, and other institutions where proof of vaccine may be required in the future. The side pocket provides easy access for the document to be updated when you receive your booster vaccines as well!
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.