Assessing the ability of unresponsive patients with severe brain injury to understand what is being said to them could yield important insights into how they might recover, according to new research.
A team at the University of Birmingham has shown that responses to speech can be measured using electroencephalography, a non-invasive technique used to record electrical signals in the brain. The strength of these responses can be used to provide an accurate prognosis that can help clinicians make the most effective treatment decisions.
Significantly the assessments can be made while the patient is still in intensive care and does not require any conscious response from the patient – they do not have to ‘do’ anything.
In the study, published inAnnals of Neurology, the team assessed 28 patients with acute traumatic brain injury (TBI) who were not under sedation, and who failed to obey commands. The patients were assessed within just a few days of their injury. They were played streams of sentences and phrases made up of monosyllabic words while their brain activity was monitored using EEG.
In healthy individuals, EEG activity only synchronises with the rhythm of phrases and sentence when listeners consciously comprehend the speech. The researchers assessed the level of the unresponsive patients’ comprehension by measuring the strength of this synchronicity.
The researchers were able to follow up 17 of the patients three months following their injury, and 16 of the patients after six months. They found the outcomes significantly correlated with the strength of the patients’ response to speech measured by the EEG.
Patients with traumatic brain injury are commonly assessed by their behaviour or by a CT scan, but some patients who remain unresponsive pose a significant challenge. Recent studies have shown that TBI patients can be shown to ‘imagine’ themselves following commands. This activity can also be tracked using EEG. However, this approach requires a fairly sophisticated response from the patient, so patients with lower brain capabilities may be overlooked.
Lead author Dr Damian Cruse is based at the University of Birmingham’s School of Psychology and Centre for Human Brain Health. He explains: “The strength of our approach is that we can measure a scale of comprehension without needing any other sort of response from the patient. This insight could significantly reduce prognostic uncertainty at a critical point. It could help clinicians make more appropriate decisions about whether or not to continue life-sustaining therapy – and also ensure rehabilitation resources are allocated to patients who are most likely to benefit.”
- PERSONAL MEDITATION COACH: Meet MUSE 2, a smart headband that helps you understand your brain and live a more relaxed, present life. Begin improving your overall brain health and mental wellbeing by harnessing the calming power of meditation.
- REAL-TIME FEEDBACK: Our powerful biofeedback uses electroencephalogram technology—known as EEG—with advanced sensors. While meditating, the sensors can sense when your mind is distracted and use real-time audio cues to help guide you to a calm state.
- WEARABLE NEUROFEEDBACK: To begin, put on the headband and position it so the sensors are in contact with your skin. Next, connect to Bluetooth through the MUSE app, select your meditation experience, take a deep breath, and begin to relax.
- TUNE INTO YOUR BODY: After each session, you are provided with a calm score. Track your progress to improve your meditation practice overtime and develop an understanding of your internal cues to learn how to relax, build energy and optimize performance.
- SAFE, TRUSTED AND CERTIFIED: MUSE is backed by research from prestigious institutions and is used by neuroscience researchers around the world. Our SmartSense EEG sensors are award winning and our company is built on credibility and trust.
- 2-in-1 technology. You get tACS + tDCS in one powerful device.
- Modern: lightweight, portable, and digital, with a long battery life.
- Customizable: select any intensity (0.1-4 mA), time (1-60 min), or frequency (0.2-80Hz).
- Professional-grade: comes with presets, overload protection, hardware & software safeties, power saver, and a digital meter that can be turned on to show the connection quality.
- Complete kit: you get a device, USB charger, lead wires, 2x standard-sized electrodes with cases, 4x sponges, headband, manual, and hard carrying case.
- VISUALIZE YOUR MEDITATION PERFORMANCE. Supported by the biosensing technology, see how your brain and body are working when you are doing meditation. Real-time brainwaves, heart rate, HRV, relaxation, attention and pressure level tell you whether you are getting into meditation states.
- SCIENTIFICALLY VALIDATED LESSONS of various topics in the app help you gain the basic techniques and accompany you to make progress every day (subscribers have access to all). More lessons are on the way. Veterans may enjoy the unguided mode.
- A DETAILED BIODATA REPORT displaying your performance of every minute reminding you when you get into the meditation state and during which period you are doing great. Compare your performance with the last seven times to see your improvement.
- SUPER LIGHT, COMFORTABLE & PORTABLE. 29g in weight. Easy to take it with you anywhere, whether you are at home, in the office or commuting.
- FREE TO DOWNLOAD THE APP on the App Store or Google Play. Bluetooth connection. Once fully charged, the headband lasts about 8 hours to meditate and 50 days on standby mode.
- Ten20 Conductive eeg paste (228gms)
- Bulk available on demand
- Best for eeg
- Nothing better for sleep study
- Size: 18" x 24"
- High-quality 3 MIL lamination for added durability
- Tear Resistant
- Made in the USA
- Kink resistant
- Color coded
- Lead wire withstands up to 22 pounds of pressure
- Metal Backing
- EKG ON THE GO: Capture unlimited medical-grade EKGs in 30 seconds and get an instant analysis right on your smartphone. KardiaMobile is small enough to fit in your pocket, so you can take it with you anywhere.
- EASY TO USE: Simply place your fingers on the sensors to detect Atrial Fibrillation, Bradycardia, Tachycardia and Normal Sinus Rhythm. Additional detections and features available with KardiaCare subscription. KardiaCare is not included with this product.
- TRUSTED BY PROFESSIONALS: KardiaMobile is FDA-cleared and the #1 doctor-recommended personal EKG with more than 100 million EKGs recorded.
- EKG HISTORY: With the press of a button, email your EKGs to your doctor or save them on your phone, no subscription required.
- KardiaMobile is COMPATIBLE WITH MOST POPULAR PHONES and TABLETS. To use your Kardia device, you must download the Kardia app on a compatible device running at least Apple iOS 10.3.3, or at least Android OS 6.0. Visit alivecor.com/compatibility to check the list of compatible devices.
- Drndic, Daša (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 380 Pages - 04/30/2019 (Publication Date) - New Directions (Publisher)
- Look stylish in this colorful EEG neurology neurodiagnostics design. Perfect for EEG techs, technologist, technicians, neurologists or anyone in the neurodiagnostic profession. Great design for EEG tech appreciation or employee appreciation.
- This EEG design is perfect for neurology students, teachers and technologists! Great EEG Christmas stocking stuffer or employee appreciation idea!
- Lightweight, Classic fit, Double-needle sleeve and bottom hem
- Specification: The retractable badge reel is 3.8 X 1.8 inches, retracts to extend 24 inches (note: there is a certain error in manual measurement). The weight is 0.58 ounces, light and easy to carry.
- Premium Material: The badge reel is made of high-quality ABS material, alligator clips and nylon rope, glitter acrylic board, ensure safe, reliable and durable, with serrated alligator clips, it will never drop your ID card, sturdy material, It is resistant to scratches and chips and is guaranteed to withstand harsh working environments, making it the best choice for medical workers.
- Cute Gift: The glitter badge reel makes a lovely gift for medical personnel, electroencephalophy tech, EEG doctor nurse, nervous system, medical office work, friends, colleagues, family and anyone you want to give to anyone who needs to wear an ID card, whether it's Halloween, graduation, Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthday, RN Day or Nurses Week, it is the perfect gift to show appreciation for their hard work. It comes in a beautiful gift box and can be given directly without repackaging.
- Unique Design: The badge reel adopts a glitter and irregular design, the patterns are fun and cute, they combines humor and practicality, adding a touch of fun to ordinary work. The unique pattern style design is full of personality, It will attract attention and bring a smile to your face in daily life and work.
- Multifunction: The badge reel is a multi-functional accessory, equipped with a rotating alligator clip, which can be rotated 360 degrees, and can be clipped on ID cards, work ID cards, collars, belts, pockets, backpacks, keys and anywhere you like, it is both beautiful, distinctive and practical, they can also express your personality.
I get commissions for purchases made through links on this website. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.